Thursday, June 20, 5-10pm
Look for the yellow balloons for Third Thursday events, and be sure to pick up your wrist band at YBCA for special rates at participating bars and restaurants.
1. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts | 701 Mission St @ 3rd | ybca.org
- Check in!, 5–6:30pm | FREE | Find the Third Thursday kiosk in the lobby of YBCA for a map and your wristband. Enter the drawing by dropping your ticket at CJM or MoAD.
- ConVerge, 4–8pm | FREE | Join a who’s who of Bay Area community-based artists, community organizers, and scholars as they tackle their favorite songs through Critical Karaoke! Each artist will speak about a song as it plays, with approaches and topics as varied as the artists and songs themselves. Featuring Jaime Cortez, Xandra Ibarra, Carrie Leilam Love, Perra Pumps, and many more! | http://www.ybca.org/converge
2. Museum of the African Diaspora | 685 Mission St @ 3rd | moadsf.org
- Motown Madness, 4–8pm | FREE | MoAD’s Summer Season Kickoff Weekend starts with Motown Madness, an opening celebration for two new photography exhibitions featuring renowned American photojournalist Gordon Parks and J.D. Ojeikere, a Nigerian national treasure. The 2nd Floor Salon will be the scene for Motown beats by DJ Craft Spells and background film (Shaft), surrounded by the iconic photographs of Parks, Life magazine’s first African American staff photographer. The 3rd Floor (main) gallery will feature the first West Coast showing of the works of J.D. Ojeikere, whose images focus on preserving cultural traditions in the face of Nigeria’s change from colonial rule to independence. | http://www.moadsf.org/summerseasonkickoff2013
3. UC Berkeley Extension Art & Design Gallery | 95 Third Street @ Mission | extension.berkeley.edu/art
- L-3 Advanced Landscape Architecture Studio exhibit | FREE | UC Berkeley Extension student work on the San Francisco Green Connections project at 22nd St in Potrero Hill and the Dogpatch is showcased. Students develop a range of strategies to reuse currently lost or misused space, integrate ecological design, and relate to the existing neighborhoods culture and context, all developed in discussion with City Planning as the City moves forward with redeveloping this space.
4. Yerba Buena Gardens Festival | Jessie Square | ybgfestival.org
- Edgardo-Candela in Jessie Square, 6–7:30pm | FREE | Candela brings us mambo, cha-cha-cha, merengue, timba, and even a little bit of Uruguayan candombé rhythms. Blessed with a tenor voice reminiscent of the great Ruben Blades, Edgardo belts out original songs as well as Candela’s “too hot to touch” repertoire. Come early for dance lessons! | ybgfestival.org/Events/edgardo-candela/
5. Contemporary Jewish Museum | 736 Mission St @ Yerba Buena Ln | thecjm.org
- Beat Memories: The Photographs of Allen Ginsberg, 5–8pm | $5 | Through over seventy photographs by renowned poet, Allen Ginsberg (1926–1997), Beat Memories tenderly captures the young writers and rebels that would define the Beat Generation. Ginsberg’s photographs are a vital record of his close companions—William S.Burroughs, Neal Cassady, GregoryCorso, and Jack Kerouac—and they reveal a commitment to capturing the extraordinary beauty of the everyday.
A. B Restaurant and Bar | 720 Howard St above the waterfall | bsanfrancisco.com
- Extended Happy Hour and Live DJ, 5–10pm | FREE | B Restaurant and Bar is celebrating Third Thursday with extended happy hour throughout the entire evening for anyone with a Third Thursday wristband (pick one up at YBCA or any of the participating galleries and museums). A live DJ will be spinning throughout happy hour!
B. Thirsty Bear Restaurant | 661 Howard St @ 3rd | thirstybear.com
- Neighborhood Mixer, 5:30–7:30 pm | FREE | As part of Third Thursdays, the Yerba Buena Alliance joins forces with Thirsty Bear to host a neighborhood mixer. Join us for light food and organic beer brewed right here in Yerba Buena. This is a chance for Alliance members and the Yerba Buena community to interact and network. Come get to know your neighbors and enjoy the Yerba Buena Third Thursdays. All are welcome. | www.yerbabuena.org
C. Novela | 662 Mission St @ Annie Alley | novelabarsf.com
- The newest addition to the neighborhood, Novela’s distinguished cocktails are named after literary characters and the bar features six on-tap punches, five of which change seasonally.