Thursday, August 15, 5-10pm
Look for the yellow balloons for Third Thursday events, and be sure to pick up your wrist band at one of the art venues for special rates at participating bars and restaurants.
1. Contemporary Jewish Museum | 736 Mission St @ Yerba Buena Ln | thecjm.org
- Beyond Belief: 100 Years of the Spiritual in Modern Art + more, 5–8pm | $5 discounted admission | Beyond Belief is an expansive exhibition exploring the spiritual dimensions of modern art, especially as seen through the lens of Jewish theological concepts. The exhibition features forty-eight internationally-known artists whose work—painting, sculpture, photography, video, and installation art—are all drawn from SFMOMA’s outstanding collection.
2. Yerba Buena Gardens Festival | Jessie Square | ybgfestival.org
- Let’s Go Salsa@Jessie Square & Zumba lessons with Club One Fitness, 5:30–7:30pm | FREE | There are horn sections, and then there is the Pacific Mambo Orchestra. Taking its style from the classic Latin orchestras of the 1940s, P.M.O. brings together 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxophones, piano, bass, timbales, congas, and bongos, to perform classic Latin big band mambo from Machito, Tito Puente, and Tito Rodriguez, as well as original compositions. Come early for Zumba lessons from Club One Fitness!
3. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts | 701 Mission St @ 3rd | ybca.org
- ConVerge, 4–8pm | FREE | http://www.ybca.org/converge | YBCA:ConVerge presents Gold Wood and Medved. Gold Wood, made up of band members Mauricio and Christine Ancalmo and Aaron Terry, will create soundscapes for both cerebral and physical interactions through the use of digital sound and instruments. Medved, a project by Ceci Moss and Paul Haney, is inspired by the early days of industrial music. The duo produces heavy, damaged beat-driven noise.
4. Museum of the African Diaspora | 685 Mission St @ 3rd | moadsf.org
- Works by J.D. ‘Okhai Ojeikere and Gordon Parks, 4–8pm | FREE | MoAD is the scene for West African beats by DJ Craft Spells. The MoAD Salon will feature iconic photographs of Gordon Parks, Life magazine’s first African American staff photographer, and one of America’s finest photojournalists, along with a continuous screening of Shaft’s Big Score, directed by Parks. The 3rd Floor (main) gallery will feature the first West Coast showing of the works of J.D. Ojeikere, a Nigerian national treasure whose images focus on preserving cultural traditions in the face of Nigeria’s change from colonial rule to independence.
5. UC Berkeley Extension Art & Design Gallery | 95 Third Street @ Mission | extension.berkeley.edu/art
- Exhibition open, 6–10pm | FREE | A border can be defined as a line dividing two areas, land at edge, strip around edge, or flowerbed. They exist in life, and unless one is interested in crossing them, they are not that interesting. But what if they are invisible? These are intriguing, and more so when making them visible as an artist. This exhibit shows some conceptual works, which includes an installation, photographs, and paintings. Includes an artist talk and wine reception.
6. California Historical Society | 678 Mission St @ 3rd | californiahistoricalsociety.org
- Film screening of Impresa!, 6:30 and 7:30pm | FREE | Coming off the heels of its festival premiere as an official selection in the 2013 San Francisco Black Film Festival, enjoy a screening of Impresa!, a silent film about East African entrepreneurs in San Francisco. Film will screen at 6:30 and 7:30.
A. Novela | 662 Mission St @ Annie Alley | novelabarsf.com
- Third Thursday Drink Specials, 5–10pm | Discounts with Wristband | Serving cocktails with character, Novela honors classic literary heroes in design and spirit, with a compelling mix of original hand crafted cocktails, an innovative punch-on-tap program, and thoughtful décor inspired by literature.
B. B Restaurant and Bar | 720 Howard St above the waterfall | bsanfrancisco.com
- Extended Happy Hour and $6 cocktails, 5–10pm | Discounts with Wristband | B Restaurant and Bar is celebrating Third Thursday with extended happy hour throughout the entire evening for anyone with a Third Thursday wristband (pick one up at YBCA or any of the participating galleries and museums). A live DJ will be spinning throughout happy hour!
C. Buca di Beppo | 855 Howard St @ 4th | www.bucadibeppo.com
- Yerba Buena Alliance Mixer, 5:30-7:30pm | FREE for members and a guest | Yerba Buena Alliance is graciously hosted by the Italian hotspot Buca di Beppo. Get to know your neighbors and those living, working, and visiting the neighborhood. Refreshments provided by Buca di Beppo generously include fried mozzarella, Chick!n Saltimbocca Skewers Bruschetta, mini Cannolis, tea and coffee, and a drink ticket.