Thursday, October 17, 5–10pm
Art Venues 5–8pm / Food & Drinks 5–10pm
Look for the yellow balloons for Third Thursday events, and be sure to pick up your wrist band at one of the art venues for special rates at participating bars and restaurants.
1. California Historical Society | 678 Mission St @ 3rd
2. Cartoon Art Museum | 655 Mission @ 3rd
3. Children’s Creativity Museum | 221 4th St @ Howard
4. Contemporary Jewish Museum | 736 Mission St @ Yerba Buena Lane
5. Museum of the African Diaspora | 685 Mission St @ 3rd
6. UC Berkeley Extension Art & Design Gallery | 95 3rd Street @ Mission
7. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts | 701 Mission St @ 3rd
A. B Restaurant and Bar | 720 Howard St above the gardens waterfall
B. Bluestem Brasserie | 1 Yerba Buena Lane @ Market
C. Novela | 662 Mission St @ Annie Alley
D. SFMOMA MuseumStore | 51 Yerba Buena Lane @ Mission
EVENT DETAILS for OCTOBER
- California Historical Society | 678 Mission St @ 3rd
- Yerba Buena Evolving Symposium, 6-8pm | FREE
- Yerba Buena is evolving, and during this symposium we will look at what that means for the future of the neighborhood. Presented by the Yerba Buena Alliance and moderated by John King from the San Francisco Chronicle, this panel will discuss what is to come and where the neighborhood is headed from now to 20 years in the future. Panelists include Bill Carney from SF Redevelopment Agency, Ben Grant from SPUR, John Rahaim from the SF Planning Department, and Helen Sause from the Yerba Buena Alliance
- Cartoon Art Museum | 655 Mission @ 3rd
- DIVAS, DAMES and DAREDEVILS with Mike Madrid, 5–8pm | FREE
- Join us for a presentation by Madrid at 6:30pm about his new book, Divas, Dames & Daredevils. Stan Lee states that with his newest book, “Mike Madrid gives these forgotten super-heroines their due. These ‘lost’ heroines are now found – to the delight of comic book lovers everywhere.” After the presentation, Mike Madrid will sign books and wine will be provided courtesy of Exterminating Angel Press.
- Children’s Creativity Museum | 221 4th St @ Howard
- Framing the Future: 15th Anniversary Fundraiser Celebration, 6-9pm | $125 (fundraiser)
- The Children’s Creativity Museum is opening its doors for an adult-only evening of fun and fundraising. Meet fellow supporters of creativity and enjoy cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, a silent auction, and music by DJBluz while exploring their interactive exhibits. Proceeds from the night benefit the museum’s educational programs.
- Contemporary Jewish Museum | 736 Mission St @ Yerba Buena Lane
- Writing Between Worlds with Helene Wecker and Andrew Sean Greer, 6:30–8pm | $5 (includes Museum admission)
- Delve into a history where supernatural creatures and time-travel prevail during this literary reading and talk by best-selling authors Andrew Sean Greer (The Confessions of Max Tivoli), and Helene Wecker (The Golem and the Jinni). Following the reading will be a moderated discussion with the authors. Book sales and signing will follow.
- Museum of the African Diaspora | 685 Mission St @ 3rd
- LITQUAKE at MoAD: In Conversation: ZZ Packer and Sarah Ladipo Manyika, 6:30-8pm | $5–10
- The Litquake Literary Festival comes to MoAD! ZZ Packer is currently at work on a novel, Thousands, about the Buffalo Soldiers, which was excerpted in The New Yorker’s 20 Under 40 Fiction Issue. Here, we present Packer reading from Thousands, followed by a wide-ranging conversation with author and professor Sarah Ladipo Manyika.
- UC Berkeley Extension Art & Design Gallery | 95 3rd Street @ Mission
- Larry Robinson: New Works, 5–8pm | FREE
- “New Works” by Larry Robinson, Instructor of Visual Arts at UC Berkeley Extensionand Oakdale Painting Studio, San Francisco. The New Works exhibition includes recent oil painting and drawings that visually explore the intersection between “form” and “formlessness.”
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts | 701 Mission St @ 3rd
- YBCA:ConVerge: Trash Mash-Up with the McCracken Sisters, 4-8 PM | FREE
- Join the McCracken Sisters for a Trash Mash-Up during this month’s installation of YBCA:ConVerge. Trash Mash-Up is a community art project based in San Francisco that shares cultural traditions with diverse local communities in public performances and workshops. Create your own trash couture to wear to Project Nunway on Saturday, November 2 at 8pm!
+ Exclusive Discounts…
- B Restaurant and Bar | 720 Howard St above the gardens waterfall
- Extended Happy Hour and $6 cocktails, 5–10pm | Discounts with Wristband
- B Restaurant and Bar is celebrating Third Thursday with extended happy hour throughout the entire evening for anyone with a Third Thursday wristband (pick one up at YBCA or any of the participating galleries and museums). A live DJ will be spinning throughout happy hour!
- Bluestem Brasserie | 1 Yerba Buena Lane @ Market
- Featuring the Bluestem Smash cocktail, 5–10pm | $1 from each goes to the Yerba Buena Alliance
- Novela | 662 Mission St @ Annie Alley
- Third Thursday Drink Specials, 5–10pm | Discounts with Wristband
- Serving cocktails with character, Novela honors classic literary heroes in design and spirit, with a compelling mix of original hand crafted cocktails, an innovative punch on tap program. Receive $2 off our signature punches. Thursday Night Football will be televised on 3 large HD flat screens.
- SFMOMA MuseumStore | 51 Yerba Buena Lane @ Mission
- 10% Discount for Third Thursday visitors, 5–8pm | Discounts with Wristband
- Visit the SFMOMA MuseumStore’s new temporary location on Yerba Buena Lane for the West Coast’s finest selection of modern and contemporary art books, innovative design objects, contemporary jewelry, children’s books and toys, posters, stationery, and our exclusive line of SFMOMA signature products. Proceeds support SFMOMA’s exhibitions and educational programs.